For an easy-to-follow example of how to create different types of email campaigns, watch our video tutorial:
Everything in HostPapa Connect related to creating messages can be found under the Campaigns menu option, at the top of your screen. By the end of this article, you will have a complete message, scheduled to send to your list.
We will take you through the main tabs and actions in HostPapa Connect, including:
Recipients tab Details tab Content tab Proofing tab Testing tab Schedule message
- Under Lists, click the contact list that you created earlier, and click Add >>. You can also add Groups by doing the same beneath Groups.
- Click Save & Next >> to continue to the next section.
- Name field: The message name is only for internal use, and will be how you identify your messages within HostPapa Connect.
- Give your message a subject, and include the sender's email address, and sender’s name, if appropriate. These fields define the subject and from address for the message you are composing, and will be seen by your contacts.
- You can also set up other options (initializing Google Analytics tracking, ClickTale tracking, authenticating the message, archiving the message, adding a View in browser link, etc.).
- Click Save & Next >>.
- Click the Content tab and you will be prompted to choose a content type. We recommend using Template as your content type. Read more about creating campaigns with the template editor.
- In the editor, set the content of the message you want to send out. Then select Save.
- Provide an alternate, text-only version of the message by clicking on the Text tab (located above the editor). Once you click this tab, our system will help create a text-only version from the saved HTML version of your email. You can also enter your own text-only content if you'd prefer. Most email recipients can view HTML email without issues, but some prefer to receive text-only.
- When you are confident the email message is complete, click Save & Next >>.
- Preview your message and take a look at the Message Quality Score™ (MQS) and any message content issues that your message may have. The higher your MQS, the better. If your MQS is too low, your message may be blocked by your reader's spam filters (and if it is below 50, it cannot be sent out at all). If that is the case, or if anything seems incorrect in the preview, you can return to the Content. Change your message by clicking on Content in the tab bar at the top of the screen.
- When you are done, click the Testing tab.
- In the Send a test message section, under Email addresses (one per line), type your email address and click Send test >> to send a test version of your message to yourself. You can include more email addresses if you wish to send a test version to additional recipients.
- View the message as many different ways as you can (as it would appear in Outlook, Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo!, AOL, etc.) to ensure all your contacts will see the message as you intend it to be seen. If there are any problems with the content, click on the Content tab to change the message body, check your message in the Proofing tab, and retest in the Testing tab.
- When you are satisfied the message is ready to go, click the Send or schedule button in the top right hand corner.
Schedule message (Send or schedule)
- After clicking on the Send or schedule button, the Schedule message screen will appear.
- At the very top, you will see the Message Quality Score (MQS) for your message. If the MQS is too low, your message may be blocked by your readers' spam filters. If the MQS is lower than 50, your message cannot be sent. The higher your MQS, the better. If you still need to make adjustments to your message to raise your MQS, click on the Edit message button to return to the Content tab and make adjustments.
- In the Sending To window, you will see a listing of the lists, groups and/or saved searches that the message will be sent to. This table will break down the number of contacts per list and the total number of contacts that will be receiving the message once the duplicates are removed. If this looks correct, you are ready to move on. If not, click on the Edit message button, and go back to the Recipients tab to make your corrections.
- In the Preview section, you will see a preview of what your message will look like to one of your recipients, chosen at random, from your list(s). If this looks alright, move on to the next step. If not, click on the Edit message button on the Details tab and go to the Content tab to make corrections.
- When you send your message, it moves into Scheduled status. Scheduled status means that the message will be sent to your list at the date and time you set in the Schedule Message section above. If you set the message to send immediately, the message will remain in the scheduled status for up to 60 seconds as it prepares to send. Do not click Send Message unless you are certain the message is ready to go out to the list.
You have now successfully created and sent a message to your list. You can view the current status of all of your messages by clicking on Campaigns in the menu.