There are 3 options for adding contacts to your HostPapa Connect contact lists:
- One at a time.
- Copy and paste.
One at a time
To add contacts one at a time, navigate to Contacts > Add > One at a time. You can also add custom field information when adding
contacts one at a time.
Copy and paste
Copy and paste is the fastest way to get email addresses into your database. Copying and pasting is most useful if you have a small number of email
addresses to add to the system.
Note: With this method, you cannot import more than 100 contacts, or add custom data for your contacts. To add
more than 100 contacts at one time or add custom data, use the Import method below.
To copy and paste email addresses to your list, follow these steps:
- From the Contacts menu, hover over Add, and select Copy and paste from the additional menu that
will appear to the right.
- Under Lists to subscribe contacts to, choose your list(s). You can also select any group(s) you may want them assigned to.
- Under Copy/paste email addresses, enter all of the email addresses, one per line. Any blank lines, spaces after email addresses, or
invalid email addresses will cause a validation error.
- Click Submit. You'll be forwarded to a summary page.
After a list has been created, you can add contacts to the list. Use this option if you have many contacts, or have custom field information you
would like to import for your contacts.
Note: If importing custom field data involving multiple check boxes, separate values within the same cell of
your spreadsheet with commas.
There are 5 import options:
Add contacts to lists/groups
Contacts and their accompanying data are added to the lists or groups chosen. To import data involving multiple check boxes, separate the answers in the
Excel sheet's cell value with commas.
Remove contacts from lists/groups
Contacts are removed from the lists or groups chosen. Contacts are not globally unsubscribed, and they will remain in your active contacts listing, but
just no longer be subscribed to the lists or groups chosen.
Remove and replace all contacts in a list/group
This option removes all contacts from the lists or groups chosen, and adds the new contacts from the imported list. The contacts are only taken off the
lists or groups chosen when setting up the import. This process leaves the contact as "active" in the system. The original "date added" information will
not change. To delete those contacts that are not members of any lists or groups, go to Contacts > Remove > Delete and choose the proper
options. The next step is to go to Contacts > Remove > Purge Deleted, and follow the prompts to delete the contacts right
Add or update custom fields
This option updates custom fields with data from the import. You will be given the choice to overwrite existing data with new information from the
import or just to fill in blank fields in your existing information and leave alone any fields currently holding data.
Globally unsubscribe contacts
This option puts contacts on a list of globally unsubscribed contacts so the system can keep track of them and not send any emails whatsoever. There is
never any need to delete these contacts because they do not count against your active number of contacts.
Step-by-step instructions for importing a list
- Save your list of email addresses as a .csv file, .xls file, or .xlsx file.
- Navigate to Contacts > Add > Import.
- Choose "Comma delimited (CSV) file," "Excel (XLS) file," or "Excel 2007+ (XLSX) file," and click Next >>.
- Browse to the file created in step 1, and click Next >>.
- The next import screen handles a lot of functionalities that aren't required for getting started. For this screen, focus on the most common and
simplest task: adding a list of email addresses to a contact list so you can send messages to them.
- In the Import options section, enter a source for your list of addresses. "Company website" or something similar is sufficient.
Your contacts will see this information in the footer of their emails, completing the following sentence: "You opted in to this list from:".
- If the first row of your CSV file has column labels (like First name or Email), leave "Check here if your file has header information in the first
row that should not be imported" selected. Otherwise, deselect it.
- Within the "Map Imported Data" section, there should be a row for every column from your CSV file. If you click in the boxes, you get a drop-down
menu of column choices. Select "Email" from the drop-down menu above the column that contains your email addresses. This is required for the system to
understand where the email addresses are for your contacts within the CSV file.
- In the "Add to lists" section, check the box next to the list that you created earlier. This will add all of the contacts in the CSV file to this list. If you choose to create a new list by typing the new list name in the blank box, be sure to also check the box beside "Create a new list" so that the system will understand you want to create the new list and import these contacts into it.
- In the last section, fill in your email address with "Send an email with the import summary to" and click Do import >>.
Note: If you imported a large number of contacts (over 1,000), your import may not be processed immediately.
All of your contacts are now visible in the system.