If you use your WordPress site to sell or promote goods or services that you provide, displaying customer testimonials is an effective way to highlight your expertise and experience. In this article, we’ll show you how to install and set up the Testimonial Rotator plugin to display a rotating testimonial carousel on your site.
Installing the Testimonial Rotator plugin
Log in to your WordPress dashboard and go to Plugins > Add New. Enter testimonial rotator in the search field. Find Testimonial Rotator in the search results and click Install Now.
When the plugin is installed, click Activate.
Next, go to Testimonials > Add Rotator. Depending on the products or services you offer, you may want to add multiple rotators. For example, if you provide graphic design and web development, you may want to add rotators for each service. Enter a title for the rotator and choose the options that you want to use.
Enter the name of the product or service being reviewed. This name isn’t displayed on your site and is used only for SEO purposes. Next, choose a theme, then click Publish.
Now that your testimonial rotator is installed and set up, it’s time to add some testimonials. In the WordPress Dashboard, go to Testimonials > Add New. In the Enter Highlight Here field, enter a title, which is usually the name of the person or business proving the testimonial. Next, add the testimonial body text in the same way you add the text for any WordPress post or page.
You can also add the following testimonial options:
- Excerpt – Add a brief summary or highlights of the testimonial.
- Attach to Rotator – Choose which rotators this testimonial will be attached to. You can choose as many as you want.
- Star Rating – If you want to display star ratings with the testimonial, choose the rating.
- Author information – Information about the testimonial author.
- Testimonial Image – Select an image to display with the testimonial.
- Testimonial Order – Specify the order of the testimonial.
When you’re finished writing the testimonial and specifying options, click Publish.
After you’ve added some testimonials, you’re ready to display them on your site. You can use a widget to display testimonials or use shortcode.
Using a widget to display testimonials
The Testimonial Rotator plugin includes a widget that you can add to your site. In the WordPress dashboard, go to Appearance > Widgets. Drag the Testimonials Rotator widget from Available Widgets to Blog Sidebar.
Enter the widget details described below, then click Save. If you select Override Rotator Settings, several advanced options will also be displayed.
- Title – Enter a title for the widget. This will be displayed above the testimonials in the sidebar.
- Rotator – Choose All Rotators or a specific rotator.
- Limit – The maximum number of testimonials to display in the rotator.
- Display – Choose to display testimonials in an animated rotator or in a static list.
- Show as – Choose to display the full testimonial or an excerpt.
- Custom Excerpt Length – Enter the number of words to display in an excerpt.
- Override Rotator Settings? – Select this option to override the settings you chose when you set up the rotator. If selected, the Advanced Options are displayed.
Your testimonials are now displayed in the site sidebar.
Using shortcode to display testimonials
If your WordPress theme doesn’t support widgets or you want to display testimonials on a specific post or page, you can use a shortcode. To insert a shortcode, create a new post or page or open an existing post or page for editing. In this example, we’re adding a rotator to the site’s About page. Place the cursor where you want to display the testimonials, then click Add Rotator.
Select the rotator you want to display and click Insert Rotator.
The testimonials are now displayed on the page.
For more information about displaying testimonials in WordPress, see Getting started with the Testimonial Rotator.
If you have any questions or need help, you can always contact HostPapa Support by opening a support ticket. Details about how to open a support ticket are here.