Note: This article refers to the legacy version of the Website Builder. If you signed up to the HostPapa Website Builder after March 11 2020, you’re on the new version of the Website Builder. For help, go here.
We do not currently have an integrated feature for site search, but you can try out products such as Google’s Custom Search Engine.
Please note: Google’s Custom Search Engine will not work if your site has not been indexed by Google. Make sure you have submitted your sitemap to Google before you install this on your website. Here is a link to our tutorial which will guide you through verifying your site with Google Webmaster and submitting a sitemap: Google Webmaster Tutorial. After you submit your sitemap to Google it can still take time for your site to be indexed.
If you would like to try Google’s Custom Search Engine, follow these steps:
- Go to Google Custom Search.
- Click Create Custom Search Engine button.
- You will need to follow the steps to set it up such as a Name, Description and Keywords that describe the content of your site.
- In the field labeled Sites to search, enter all the search engine URLs.
- If you want this to be a site search to only search your website, put in your website address.
- The standard edition is free but will include some Google Ads; the Business Edition is $100 per year and will not include ads.
- Agree to the Terms of Service and click Next.
- You will now be able to select the type of style you want as well as try out the search engine you have created. Remember, if your site hasn’t been indexed by Google, you will not receive any results. After you have tested it, click Next.
- On this page, you will see a block of HTML code. If you wish for more advanced features, click on the links provided under Next Steps. Once you are satisfied with the set up, copy the entire block of code so you can add it to your website.
- Log in to the HostPapa Website Builder.
- Drop the HTML Code Widget onto the page where you want the search box to appear.
- Paste the code into the space provided.
- Click Save.