Unfortunately, downtime while transferring an addon domain’s website is unavoidable. cPanel will not allow you to connect an addon domain name to your account unless the DNS entries list HostPapa information and the information has finished propagating (that is, it has been communicated to all the servers that support the Internet). Propagation could take anywhere from just a few hours to a couple of days.
You do not have to wait for propagation to finish before you upload the addon domain’s website files, but you will need to take a few extra steps to ensure it’s done properly.
If your addon domain already has a website, leave that website in place while you complete the following:
- Log in to your HostPapa dashboard: https://www.hostpapa.com/dashboard
- Click on My cPanel. If you have more than one domain associated with your HostPapa account, click on the appropriate domain link, then enter your cPanel password if required.
- From the Files section, click on the File Manager icon.
- The Directory Selection pop-up should appear. Please ensure the Web Root (public_html/www) option is selected and click the Go button.Note: If the popup doesn’t appear once in the File Manager window, click the yellow folder icon next to /public_html located in the left column.
- From the top menu, click on the New Folder icon.
- In the New Folder pop-up, enter the New Folder Name using the same name as the addon domain, but without the “www.” For example, if you are connecting www.cat.com as an addon domain name, you would enter cat.com as the New Folder Name.
- Upload all files for cat.com to the new subfolder /cat.com.
- Open a browser and in the address bar type: www.primarydomain.com/addondomain.comFor example, if your primary domain is dog.com and you want to look into the folder /cat.com, you would type: www.dog.com/cat.com
- Verify the addon domain’s website is working properly.
- Once you have confirmed the site is functioning correctly on the new server, you may go to the registrar and switch the DNS entries to:
- After a few hours, go to cPanel and try to connect the addon domain. If you are unable to do so, propagation is not yet complete. Please try again until you’re successful.To learn more about connecting an addon domain to your cPanel, please read the following article:
- Once your addon domain is connected to your HostPapa account, you can go back to your previous host and remove the old copy of the addon domain files.