Wildcard subdomains are a useful cPanel feature that allows you to direct non-existing subdomains to a specific folder on your server. They serve as a “catch-all” location so that if a user enters a subdomain URL that has yet to be created (for example, http://nothinghere.yourdomain.com), they will be directed to the content you determine, rather than an error page.
To create a wildcard subdomain in cPanel, follow these steps:
1) Navigate to Domains > Subdomains.
2) Complete the Create a Subdomain form, using an asterisk (*) as the Subdomain name.
3) Select the parent domain and a folder to be used as the Document Root (this folder will hold the page content to which your users will be directed), then click Create to proceed.
4) With the subdomain created, now select Domains > Zone Editor from the cPanel menu. Click + A Record to create an A record for your wildcard subdomain (*.yourdomain.com.).
5) Note the additional period after your domain name. Ensure the A record points to your server’s IP address.
6) Click Add an A Record to complete the configuration.
7) Once the new A record has completed propagation, your wildcard subdomain will go live. Ensure you have the content to which you wish to redirect your users available in the nominated folder.
If you need help with your HostPapa account, please open a support ticket from your dashboard.