This tutorial will help you customize your AbanteCart shopping cart. We‘ll show you the most common settings like changing your logo using an AbanteCart template, SEO-friendly URLs, customize policy pages, and more.
Because there are so many ways to customize your Abantecart shopping cart, we’ve put together a table of contents for this article so you can select the customizations you’re most interested in.
- How to change your storefront logo with an AbanteCart template
- How to set up SEO-friendly URLs
- How to change your shopping cart domain name
- How to edit store text and label formats
- How to remove the “Powered by” test
- How to customize your store policy pages
- How to add new items to your store menu
- How to add your company identity and contact information
- How to change the home page banner slider
- How to configure Google Analytics
- How to accept payments
- How to configure currency exchange rates
- In your AbanteCart Dashboard, go to Design > Templates.
- Click the Edit gear on the bottom of the AbanteCart template.
3. Click the logo you want to replace.
4. In the Resource Library window, you will see your logo on the right. Click the Replace File button beneath the logo and follow the prompts. You may need to adjust the logo size.
Specifying SEO-friendly URLs to use product names in links will help with your SEO performance. To set them up, follow these steps:
- In your AbanteCart Dashboard go to System > Settings > System.
2. Change to ON the option Use SEO URL’s.
3. Click Save.
Once you’ve set up SEO-friendly URLs, AbanteCart creates an htaccess.txt file. Next, you’ll need to log into your cPanel and use the File Manager to rename “htaccess.txt” to “.htaccess.” If a .htaccess file already exists, rename it to “htaccess.original” to save it just in case something goes wrong.
You’ll also need to edit the new .htaccess file if your store is set up in a subdirectory (http://yourhostpapa.com/cart-subdirectory) and change the line containing.
RewriteBase / to RewriteBase /cart-subdirectory/
Note: To set up SEO-friendly URLs automatically, you will need to configure a mod_rewrite. If you have problems, please contact HostPapa Support for further assistance.
- Go to System > Settings > Store Details.
- Enter the new store URL in the Store URL field. You must include the trailing /. For example, if the new domain for your store is “https://yourhostpapa.com/mystore,” enter it into the Store URL field as “https://yourhostpapa.com/mystore/”.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the Settings page and click Save.
Note: If you previously changed your system .htaccess file, remember to edit it to reflect the URL update.
You can easily edit text and label formats in your store. To do so, follow these steps.
- Select System > Localization > Language Definitions.
- On the Language Definitions page, you can customize the text and label formats used in your store and add new ones as needed.
To edit a label:
- On the Language Definitions page, find the text or label you wish to edit.
- To quickly edit an item, click on its Translation field and enter the new text.
3. Click the checkmark next to the field to save your changes.
You can also use the Edit button to make additional edits to some labels.
If you wish to brand your AbanteCart and remove the default Powered By text, go to the Extensions Marketplace and install the Whitelabel extension. Once you install and enable it, configure the extension as desired to reflect your branding.
To remove the Powered by text manually, follow these steps:
- Log into your HostPapa cPanel.
- Go to the File Manager and navigate to your shopping cart install location.
- In the shopping cart folder, navigate to the storefront > view > default_html5 > template > common directory.
- Edit the footer.tpl file.
- In footer.tpl, delete the following line:
<div class="pull-right textright"> <?php echo $text_powered_by ?> <a href="..." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" title="Ideal OpenSource E-commerce Solution">AbanteCart</a> </div>
6. When done, save your changes. The Powered by text should no longer appear in your store footer.
To customize your store policy pages for About Us, Privacy, Returns, and Shipping, follow these steps:
- Select the Design > Content menu.
- In the Content Manager window, click the Edit icon to edit the policy you wish to change.
3. When done, click Save to return to the Content Manager page.
You can also add a new page by clicking the + button at the top of the Content Manager page.
To add a new menu item, follow these steps:
- Select Design > Menu.
- Use the dropdown menu at the top to select the menu you wish to edit and click GO.
3. Click + to add your new menu item.
4. On the Insert menu page, enter the information for your new menu item.
5. Click Save. Your new menu item will now appear in the menu you selected for editing.
To set up your company identity and contact information, follow these steps:
- Select System > Settings > Store Details.
- Edit the settings as desired, then click Save to save your changes and update your store.
To change the HTML5 banner slider used on your AbanteCart home page, follow these steps:
- Select Design > Banner Manager.
- There are five main graphic banners and one static (fallback) banner used for mobile displays on the Banner Manager page.
3. To edit the fallback banner for mobile displays, click its Edit icon.
- On the Edit fallback page, make the changes needed (when replacing the static banner image, use an image 940px wide for best results).
- When done, click Save.
4. To edit a main graphic banner from the Banner Manager page, click the Edit icon for the graphic banner you wish to change.
- All of the main graphic sliders are text-based. On the Edit Main Banner page for the banner you selected, locate the Banner HTML-code section.
- Change the img src path to the one to your new image.
- If you’re uploading a new image, use the Add Media button to upload it. Graphics should be uploaded as .png files with a transparent background.
- Update the banner text displayed in the <span class=”txt1″> section of the HTML code.
- When done, click Save.
To set up your AbanteCart with your Google Analytics account, follow these steps:
- Select System > Settings > General.
- Scroll down and locate the Google Analytics Account Number field.
3. Enter your Google Analytics account number.
4. Click Save to update your cart and enable Google Analytics tracking.
You must enable one or more payment methods for your store to accept payments from customers.
To manage your payment methods, follow these steps:
- Select Extensions > Payments.
- On the Extensions page, you must install each payment option you wish to use. Locate a payment method and click its Install button to install the extension.
3. Click the Edit button for the newly installed payment extension and configure it as needed.
4. Continuing adding and editing payment methods until done.
To configure exchange rates for the currency your store accepts, follow these steps:
- Select System > Localization > Currencies.
- You can edit the fields for any existing currency. Click the Save icon for that currency when done.
3. On the Currencies page, click + to add a new currency.
4. Enable a currency by setting its status to ON. Disable it by setting the status to OFF.
5. To edit the details for any currency, click its Edit icon and enter the necessary changes. Don’t forget to click Save when done.
If you need help with your HostPapa account, please open a support ticket from your dashboard.