Do you want to transfer or migrate your Joomla site to HostPapa? It’s not as difficult as it sounds! Simply follow these steps.
Note: This only works in Joomla 1.5+.
Export your MySQL data from your old host
- Log into your previous host’s phpMyAdmin.
- Select Export.
- Select all tables and export them.
You will now have a SQL query that you can run on your new database.
For more information on exporting databases, please watch this helpful tutorial.
Import your MySQL data to your HostPapa account
- Log in to your HostPapa dashboard.
- Click on My cPanel. If you have more than one domain associated with your HostPapa account, click on the appropriate domain link, then enter your cPanel password if required.
- Click on MySQL databases.
- Create a database.
- Create a username.
- Add the username to the database.
- Log into your new database’s phpMyAdmin and Import the new database.
For more information on the above steps, please watch our helpful tutorials here:
You have now successfully moved your data.
Download and upload your files
- Use an FTP client to download ALL files from your old hosting company’s server to a location on your local desktop.
- Using FTP, upload these files to your new HostPapa account. Make sure you upload to the public_html folder.
Next, you need to tell Joomla to use the new database data. Open the configuration.php file on the new server, and edit the following variables to fit the new database and FTP settings:
- var $log_path = ‘yourfullserverpath/logs’;
- var $tmp_path = ‘yourfullserverpath/tmp’;
- var $live_site = ‘http://www.mysite.com’;
- var $ftp_host = ‘127.0.0.1’;
- var $ftp_port = ’21’;
- var $ftp_user = ‘myftpuser’;
- var $ftp_pass = ‘myftppassword’;
- var $ftp_root = ‘myftprootfolder’;
- var $host = ‘mymysqlhost’;
- var $user = ‘mysqluser’;
- var $db = ‘mysqldatabasename’;
- var $password = ‘mysqlpassword’;
Save these settings, and you’re good to go!
Note: If you don’t know the full server path, you can always find it in the System Info menu in the Joomla backend. If you edit the other information first, you’re able to log into the administrator area on your new site and get the server path.
If you need help with your HostPapa account, please open a support ticket from your dashboard.