WooCommerce is a WordPress plugin that adds a suite of comprehensive ecommerce features to the publishing platform. Originally created by a third-party developer, WooCommerce’s user base grew quickly from launch and the plugin was subsequently acquired by WordPress’ developer, Automattic. It offers an extensive array of retail features out of the box and supports hundreds of third-party addons that further extend its capabilities.
The WooCommerce plugin builds a framework of custom pages on top of the basic post and page types offered by WordPress. They include product and product category pages, shopping cart features and payment processing, plus a host of more complex features including tax and shipping controls, currency management, inventory features and more.
WooCommerce’s basic feature set – which includes everything you need to get up and running with an online store – is available at no cost. However, depending on your requirements, you may need to take advantage of third-party extensions for WooCommerce, many of which require a one-off or subscription payment.
- Support for physical and digital goods.
- Product variations, multiple configurations, and instant downloads.
- Bookings, memberships and subscription sales.
- Extensive shipping options, including free shipping, drop shipping, flat rate shipping, or real-time cost calculations.
- Payment options including major credit cards, PayPal, BACS (bank transfers), and cash on delivery plus support for gateways providers like Stripe, Authorize.Net, and Amazon Payments.
- Configurable store settings including tax rates, stock levels, customer accounts, and promotions.
- Huge range of third-party extensions that add new features to the core platform.
Learn more about WooCommerce and how to install the plugin in this HostPapa knowledge base guide: How to set up a WordPress ecommerce website
For further questions, or if you need help, please open a support ticket from your HostPapa Dashboard. Follow this link to learn how: HostPapa Dashboard – How to Open a Support Ticket